If you switch from QuickBooks for Mac to Windows, you don’t have to start over. Convert your Mac company file to Windows and you’re good to go.
Step 1: Update QuickBooks
Follow the steps to update QuickBooks for Mac to the latest release.
Step 2: Get your company file ready
Remove any memos longer than 50 characters or contain special characters like !@#$%^&*
Search for memos with special characters in them
Select the Reports menu and then Custom Transaction Detail Report.
1. From the Dates drop-down menu, select All Dates.
2. Double-click a transaction with a memo to open it.
3. Delete the special characters from the memo field and select Save.
4. Close the transaction.
5. Repeat the steps for all other transactions.
6. Re-sort your lists.
7. Run verify and rebuild on your company file. Go to the File menu and select Utilities. Next, select Verify Data.
Step 3: Convert your company file
1. Open your company file as the admin. Go to the File menu and select Export. Select To QuickBooks for Windows.
2. If you get a prompt to verify before you back up, select Verify.
3. Name the file and choose the folder to save it in. Then, select Save. Note: Make sure you don't add special characters in the file name.
4. Enter and confirm your password and select OK.
5. Select OK on the confirmation window.
6. Move the file to your Windows computer. Most people do this with a USB flash drive, cloud storage, or email if the file is small enough.
7. Restore the file in QuickBooks for Windows.